Regardless of what work is planned in a commercial building, if there is a change of use of the building, it will trigger the need to consider the disability access provisions of the BCA and Premises Standards.

Generally, any change of use of a building triggers the need for a building permit to obtain an Occupancy Permit for the new use under Regulation 1011 of the Victorian Building Interim Regulations 2017. At this time, the building must comply with all relevant access provisions of the BCA applicable to the new use.

MAA can assist any building owner or tenant through this process and help navigate the complexity in applying all disability access provisions to an existing building, whilst helping to minimise this impact (and cost).